Anti reflection coatings are designed to reduce the light lost by reflection off the front and rear surfaces of the spectacle lens, the higher the index of lens, the more light lost in reflection. This results in an improvement in vision of approximately 8-12% (dependent on material), this is due to the amount of extra light your eyes receive through the lenses.
Other benefits are:
- Improved cosmetic appearance as other peoples attention is taken away from unsightly reflections in the wearers lenses.
- Lenses look thinner as are less obvious.
- Safer and more comfortable Vision due to a reduction in distracting reflections.
- Also they are advantageous whilst driving at night time as they reduce dazzle from car headlights and street lighting.
- When reading, contrast is improved, and the annoying glare off the back of the lenses is reduced, which can be one of the main reasons for eye fatigue.
- Anti-reflection coating is also available on the rear surface of sunglass lenses, so light is not reflected back into the wearers eyes.
(Reflections in the lenses are seen)
The two images compare the cosmetic appearance of an Uncoated lens and that of a lens with an Anti-Reflection coating.
(Lenses have no reflections)
(Reflection and light scatter from headlights)
The two images demonstrate the visual differences between an Uncoated lens and that of a lens with an Anti-Reflection coating.
(Reduced ight scatter from headlights)